1. You shouldn’t keep silent when __．
A．speaking B．spoken to C．spoken D．speaking to
2. This book is said to be a special one, which ___ many events not found in other history books．
A．writes B．covers C．prints D．reads
3. —Did you enjoy the book? —Yes, it was so interesting that I could hardly __ it．
A．get rid of B．break away from C．keep away from D．tear myself away from
4. —I am sorry I didn’t do a good job．—Never mind．__,you have tried your best．
A．Above all B．In all C．At all D．After all
5. —Is Mr Smith in? —No, he’s asked for ____ leave.
A．a two week’s B．a two – week C．a two – week’s D．a two weeks
6. —And besides, these colours are more you. —Do you really think so? I’ll take it, then.
A．becoming to B．belonging to C．referring to D．used to
7. Always acting in a strange way, Einstein must have_____ to people around to be mad.
A．shown B．imagined C．appeared D．thought
8. The train was _____ to arrive at 11:30, but was an hour late.
A．about B．likely C．certain D．supposed
9. —Can I do the job ？ —I’m afraid not ,because it ______ skill and patience .
A．calls for B．asks for C．sends for D．cares for
10. —How can the problem be solved？—Well, we must _____ it to the president’s own judgement .
A．depend B．suggest C．expect D．leave
11. --The exam wasn’t difficult, was it? ---No, but I don’t think _____ could pass it.
A．somebody B．anybody C．everybody D．nobody
12. Over time, she ____ all the hardships and gradually learns the meaning of life.
A．gets through B．goes by C．finds out D．breaks into
13. The speaker referred to his notebook_____ when he gave the talk.
A．now and then B．for a while C．here and there D．all over
14. --Is there a flight to London this evening? --There ___be. I’ll phone the airport and find it out.
A．must B．will C．might D．can
15. I was so familiar with him that I recognized his voice _____ I picked up the phone.
A．while B．after C．in case D．the moment
16. ---We’ll have four guests altogether. ---So 15 bottles of beer_____ be enough.
A．may B．might C．should D．would
17. ___ he took part in the competition, he won a second prize.
A. The first time B. For the first time C. At a time D. At one time
18. While the weather's fine,I must ___ repainting the house.
A. insist on B. stick to C. get down to D. keep on
19. The seller would sell the coat for five dollars, but the customer ___ four dollars．
A．asked B．offered C．charged D．sold
20. This dance is known __ country music．