1. Someone is ringing the doorbell. Go and see ________ .
A. who is he B. who he is C. who are they D. who it is
2. ________ she couldn't understand was ________ fewer and fewer students were interested in her lessons.
A. What; why B. That; what C. What; because D. Why; that
3. -We haven't heard from Jane for a long time.
- ________ has happened to her?
A. Do you suppose that B. What do you suppose
C. Do you think that D. What you think
4. I don't care ________ she has no money. I care ________ she is honest or not.
A. if; when B. whether; that C. if; whether D. what; if
5. Word came ________ the PLA man approached the child slowly and helped him to safety.
A. since B. so that C. that D. why
6. The child is always lying, so none of us will believe ________ he says.
A. whatever B. no matter what C. how D. which
7. The fact troubles me so much ________ I have been unable to pass the driving test up to now.
A. which B. because C. why D. that
8. See to ________ the children don't catch cold.
A. it what B. it that C. what D. that
9. He, ________ is playing an important part, is well-known to us all.
A. that who B. those who C. who that D. who
10. It matters little ________ a man dies, but ________ matters so much more is ________ he lives.
A. how; what; how B. how; it; how
C. why; it; why D. which; what; that
11. Pointing to the house, he said, "This is ________ I used to live when I was young."
A. when B. what C. that D. where
12. After ten years, he had changed a lot and looked different from ________ he used to be.
A. why B. which C. what D. who
13. Father made a promise ________ I passed the examination, he would buy me a bicycle.
A. that B. if that C. whether D. that if
14. -What about the speech he made this afternoon?
- ________ he said so must be quite encouraging, I think.
A. What B. That C. / D. All
15. There are signs ________ restaurants are becoming more popular with families.
A. in which B. which C. that D. whose
16. Because they usually receive the same score on standardized exams, there is
often disagreement as to ________ is the better student, Bob or Helen.
A. who B. where C. when D. whose
17. Scientists believe native Americans arrived by crossing the land bridge that connected Siberia and ________ more than 10,000 years ago.
A. this is Alaska B. Alaska is now
C. is now Alaska D. what is now Alaska
18. The boy dived into the water and, after ________ seemed to be a long time, he
came up again.
A. what B. that C. it D. which
19. ________ we can pass the coming examination will mainly depend on ________ we learn and ________ we learn it.