to → on ↑ → from
into ↗ ↓ ↘ out of by
according to，ahead of，along with，as for，because of，be means of，due to，in spite of，on behalf of，owing to，with regard to等。
● 美国的冬天 → the winter in America
● 停车场的入口 → the entrance to the parking lot
● 穿过森林的小路 → the path through the forest
● 鲁迅的著作 → the works by Lu Xun
● 水中的月亮 → the moon reflected in water
● 历史的见证 → the witness to history
● 对爱的渴望 → a longing for love
● 对我们不利的证据 → the evidence against us
● 阳光下的漫步 → a walk in the sunlight
● 追求名誉的女人 → a lady after fame
● 两人之间的争论 → an argument between the two persons
He came from
二词常搭配使用“from ... to...”
WestudiedEnglish from morningtoafternoon
He'll start fromBeijingto
● 由于 → The girl is trembling from fear.
● 免除 → Tramps are always free from care. 流浪汉们总是无忧无虑。
● 分开 → The couple parted from each other at the airport.
● 由……制成 → The red wine is made from grapes. 红葡萄酒是由葡萄制成的
from far 从远处
from now / then on从现在 / 那时起
from bad to worse 每况愈下
from time to time（occasionally 时而）
She comes to visit me from time to time
（2）out of ：表示与“into”相反的语意
He will be out of town.
I stepped out of the dark room.
out of+ 名词 (= lack, to be without 用完，用光）
He went to the shop because he was out of paper.
out of date (= old-fashioned 过时的）
The book has been out of date.
out of work (= jobless 失业的)
He needs money because be is out of work.
out of the question (= impossible 不可能的)
Finishing the hard work is out of the question.
out of question (= doubtless 毫无疑问的）
That hecan doit well is out of question.
out of order（= not functioning 失灵的）
Her radio is out of order, so she can't listen to it.
● 通过→This is the nearest road by which they came.
● 在……时候→The young man works by day and steals money by night.
● 由……所生→He has two sons by her second wife.
● 抓住→She caught her child by his coat in the flood.
● 按……计算→The farmers sell their apples by the pound.
● 就（气质，特征）而言→He is an artist by temperament（气质）。
He passed by me without saying hello.
He lives by the sea.
The glass was broken by the boy.
by + 具体时间：
They usually have dinner by .
by + 交通工具 (bus, train, plan...)
He travelled to
by the end of + 时间名词：到……末为止。
By the end of last year, they had learnt 100 texts.
By the end of this term, they will have learnt 100 texts.
by then: 到那时
He will graduate in 1999, by then he will leave
by way of (= via) 经由，取道
They are going to the
by the way 顺便问
By the way, do you know where Mr. Li has gone?
by far: ……得多（用于修饰比较级和最高级）
The book is by far the best on the subject
by accident ［不小心，与on purpose（故意地）语意相反］
The wrong information was put into the computer by accident.
（4）in: 在……内部，与 "out" 语意相反。
All the students are in the classroom.
In + month / year: 在某月 / 年 In January, in 2000
In time 及时
They arrived at the station in time.
In the street 在街上
In the past 在过去
In the future 在未来
In the beginning 开始，起初
In the end 最后，终于
In the way 挡住去路
He couldn't drive his car away because a big stone was in the way.
once in a while 时而
Once in a while, he went to the Museum.
in no time at all 立刻，迅速
He finished his homework in no time at all.
in the meantime 同时
He was having supper, and in the meantime he watched TV.
in a row 坐在某一排上
We sat in the 20th row of the cinema.
in the event that 如果
In the event that you pass the exam, I'll telephone you.
in case 万一，如果
Bring you raincoat in case it rains.
get in touch with 与……取得联系
keep in touch with 与……保持联系
The dishes are on the round table.
on a day / date 在某天及某天的上，下午，晚上
on Wednesday, on
on Friday afternoon, on a dark night.
on a / the + (bus, plane, ship, train, bike)
He went to school on a bus.
on a ... street 在某条街道
Mrs. Smith lives on 5th 'Avenue.
on the floor of a building. 位于某层楼
on time 准时（比 in time 具体）
on the corner (of two streets) 在两条街道相交的一角
That shoe store is on the corner of 2 nd Street and
on the sidewalk 在人行道上
on the way 在途中
on the right / left 在右侧 / 左侧
on the television / the radio 在电视 / 收音机里
The manager will make a speech onthe TV.
on the telephone 打电话
You are wanted on the phone. 有您的电话
on the whole 总的来说，总体上
on the one hand, or the other hand 一方面，另一方面
on sale 出售
The books are on salefor $7 each.
on foot 步行
at + 地点
Mr. Smith lives at 15,
at + 特定时间
At in the morning, he goes towork.
at home / school / work 在家 上学 上班
at night 在晚上
at best 充其量
at times 有时
at peace 和平状态
at least 至少
at worst 最差
at intervals 间或，时而
at random 随意，胡乱地
at most 至多
at present 目前，现在
at war 交战
at leisure 悠闲自得地
at a loss 不知所措
at large 逍遥法外
in place of / instead of 代替
for the most part — mainly 主要地
in hopes of 希望……
off and on 时断时续
all of a sudden 突然
for good 永远
（8）动词短语 + 介词构成的习语
break off 结束
The two countries broke off their diplomatic relationship.
bring up 抚养，
call on sb. 要求，拜访，
He called on the workers to struggle.
care for 关心，照顾，
She only cares for new clothes.
I have to care for my son after school
check on 调查
come along with sb. 伴随，和某人在一起
come down with 因……而生病
Last summer, many people came down with intestinal disorders.
count on 依靠、指望
do away with 摆脱
draw up 起草
drop out of (school ... ) 退（学）
figure out 弄明白，弄清楚
find out 发现，查明（事实）
get by: 设法生存
Despite the high cost of living, we will get by on our salary.
get through 完成，（电话）
It's not easy to get through the work in a day.
How can I get through to you?
get up 起床，
Aparty will be got up in my house.
go along with 同意
hold on to 抓住，坚持
In spite of being a millionaire, he holds on to his usual living ways.
hold up ，忍受，
The bank was held up last night.
He held up very well after the death of his wife.
The work had been held up.
pass out 昏迷 run across 遇见，见到
I ran across some old friends yesterday.
run into 偶然碰见
When Tom was in
The young man is seeing about getting a ticket for the football game.
take over for 替代
I took over for Janet because she was ill.
talk over 讨论
try out 试验，试行
They are trying out a new idea to help the poor students.
Turn in 上交，
After a tiring day, he turned in early.
watch out for 警觉
Please watch out for thieves.
weigh on sb. 压迫，
Some problems are weighing on me, so I can't sleep well.
1. — Where is your hometown?
— It is about 20 miles ________ the east of Chicago.
A. in B. on C. to D. by
2. When I met Jenny, I took a liking ________ her at once.
A. of B. for C. on D. in
3. I am ________ your temper.
A. fed up by B. fed up with
C. fed up because of D. fed up to
4. — Do you like working as a waiter?
— Yes, but I get tired ________ the whole day.
A. with standing B. from standing
C. to stand D. of the standing
5. The accident clearly resulted ________ your carelessness.
A. in B. on C. for D. from
6. — Why do you ask if I've been smoking?
— Because you smell ________ cigarettes.
A. of B. by C. with D. as
7. The colleges vary so greatly that the problem was finally answered only ________.
A. with respect to a specific college
B. getting to specific college
C. with a view to specific college
D. with a regard to a specific college
8. — Have you some other reasons ________ the ones you just mentioned above?
— Yes, I do.
A. in addition B. besides C. off D. beside
9. — Do you ever dance like that in public?
— Certainly not! That would be ________ my dignity.
A. beneath B. under C. beyond D. above
10. —What do you have to do tomorrow?
— I'll have to ________ in a conference.
A. join B. taking part C. attend D. participate
11. Modern technological advances are being made, but ________.
A. with highly considerable expense
B. at a great expense
C. with great expense involved
D. by a lot of expense
12. — Why didn't you go to the lecture yesterday evening?
— ________, I changed my mind.
A. On a second thought B. By the second thought
C. On second thoughts D. By secondthoughts
13. ________ one time,
A. On B. By C. To D. At
14. — Wasn't the issue settled?
— No, the two sides are still ________ conflict.
A. in B. during C. on D. with
15. — How do you like these articles?
— They are not much ________ demand now.
A. on B. in C. at D. for